On behalf of the faculty and staff at Montgomery County High School, I am delighted to welcome you to the upcoming 2020-2021 school year! Our teachers and staff have been working extremely hard during the summer planning strategies to help our students during these unprecedented times. I am looking forward to meeting the incoming freshman class as well as seeing our returning upperclassmen. We are currently working very hard to finalize our staff for the upcoming year. Rest assured, we will have a full body of caring, high quality teachers and coaches in place. Currently, we look forward to welcoming the following new staff members to our school:
- Chase Cremeans – Math
- Adora Williams – Special Education
- Chris Lewis – JROTC
- Ben Whisman – English
To begin the school year the District will offer families and students a choice between hybrid distance learning and virtual learning called My MoCo Online. MCHS will offer eight courses on the A-B alternating block schedule so as to provide more instructional time for students to participate in challenging activities that are designed to prepare students for what they will experience in college or a chosen career.
When students are able to return to our campus, the school day will begin this year at 8:20 a.m. and it will end at 3:30 p.m. Once again a major area of focus will be improving student attendance. Our goal is set at 94% attendance.
Open House for freshmen will be scheduled at a later date. Look for updates on our on our school website at www.montgomery.kyschools.us/1/Home and our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/MCHSTribe.
Due to COVID-19, our return from distance learning will require many changes in our daily routines.
- All student and staff temperatures will be checked prior to attending class.
- Car riders and drivers will enter the building at the Arena lower side doors at 7:55 a.m. with temperatures taken inside the Arena. Bus riders will enter at 7:55 a.m. where they have previously, at the main office entrance.
- All students must go directly to their first block classroom upon entering the building.
- All students and staff are required to wear a mask upon entering the building. “If you move, you mask”.
- Social distancing of 6 feet will occur whenever possible.
- Stairwells will be one-way traffic only. Hallway travel must be on the right side of the hall.
- Seating charts will be required in all classes and at lunch.
- There can be NO LOITERING before/after school and during class changes. “Always be moving and masking.”
- Car riders and student drivers will be dismissed from school by the principal over the intercom. All car riders and drivers must exit the building immediately. Bus riders will be dismissed over the intercom only as their bus arrives. All bus riders will remain in class until their bus number is called.
In closing, we are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure that each child experiences success and growth. As a whole, MCHS has experienced tremendous growth in nearly every area of accountability. We want to continue that growth. We recognize that the support provided to students by parents and guardians is critical and invaluable for ensuring their success. For this reason, we place a great value on this partnership. Together we can make a difference in each child’s education and life. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
- Completes all in-class and homework assignments given by teachers
- Informs you in the event he/she needs additional help in any subject area
- Informs you if he/she is experiencing any barriers (physical, social, etc.) to learning at school
- Obeys all rules on the bus, at school, and at school-sponsored events
- Is encouraged to get involved in one or more extracurricular activities, whether it be athletic and/or academic
- Knows that you expect nothing but success for them in school and later in life
On behalf of the wonderful staff at Montgomery County High School, I look forward to serving your child during the upcoming year as we strive to become a student-centered school of distinction. Thank you for your children and for your support. Enjoy the remainder of your summer, and remember, “Every Day Is a Great Day to Be an Indian”.
Mr. Rocky Franz