What is Take 5?
Take 5 is a self-regulation strategy thatstudents use to remove themselves from a stressful situation to gain control of their emotions. Students feeling overwhelmed, overloaded, stressed, angry...may ask to Take 5. Studemts may Take 5 in the reource room or regular education setting.
What do students do during Take 5?
Students will go to the designated area in the classroom they are in. They will use learned strategies for 5 minutes to gain control of their emotions and then return to instruction without interruption.
1. Ask permission to take 5.
2. Set the timer for 5 minutes.
3. Select calming tools to use until time runs out.
4. Return tools to designated area(s).
5. Return to group and listen for directions.