Social Studies Vocabulary
Our vocabulary quiz will be October 27th
- colonial regions- British colonies in American that have similar economies, geography, climate, and government.
- indentured servants- Individuals who agreed to work for a period of time in exchange for free passage from Europe.
- assembly – a group of government officials who meet to make laws.
- democratic- A type of government in which the people are involved, or take part.
- Puritans: Religious group who wanted to reform the Church of England to make it more pure.
- Quakers: Religious group who settled in Pennsylvania. They were opposed to war, beliefs and ceremonies of other churches, and slavery.
- William Penn: An English Quaker who was jailed several times for his beliefs, cooperated with Native Americans, and founded Pennsylvania as a safe place for Quakers.
- Cecilius Calvert: A English nobleman who founded Maryland in hopes to make money, and provide a safe place for Catholics to practice their religion.
- debtor: A person who owes money, or debts.
- plantations- large farms where cash crops are grown