Week One Vocabulary List Science
- infer/inference- to read between the lines; to understand something that’s NOT clearly stated.
- cell- the smallest unit of all living matter. (p.22)
- Living organism- a living thing that must carry out all 5 life functions on its own. (p.22)
- reproduce/reproduction- the making of offspring (p.62)
- offspring- the young of living organisms (p.22)
- seed- an underdeveloped plant with stored food sealed in a protective covering (p.60)
- root- the part of a plant that takes in water & nutrients from the soil. It also anchors the plant in the ground. (p.49)
- stem- the part of the plant that holds the plant up and carries food, water, and other materials to & from the roots and leaves. (p.49)
- germinate/germination- when something begins to grow, as when a seed sprouts into a new plant. (p.64)
- life cycle- the stages of growth and change that an organism goes through from the beginning of life through death. (p.65)
- structure- the parts of a living organism
- function- the job or role of a particular part of a living organism.