Fashion & Interior Design I
Montgomery County High School
Teacher: Mrs. Kathy H. Cora
2014-2015 School Year
Grade Level: 10-12 Credits: .5 B Day – 3rd Block
Description: This course provides opportunities for students to develop career competencies in the fashion and/or interiors industry by applying information related to social, economic, and media influences. Students apply knowledge of design principles and processes through skill performance activities. Work experience will be explored and leadership development will be provided through Family, Career and Community Leaders of America.
Learning Targets: Students will:
- identify factors which affect the appropriateness of textiles selection to provide quality choices for clients.
- illustrate the use of elements and principles of design in fashion/interiors.
- identify and perform construction techniques for a variety of projects.
- recognize influences of advertising media on consumer choices.
- compare the properties and performance of fibers and fabrics.
- identify and compare performance standards of materials.
- select, design and construct items for self and others.
- compare the costs of ready-made and custom made.
- demonstrate measuring and purchasing skills.
- use safety procedures for operating and caring for household equipment.
- summarize the relationship of apparel and/or environments to behavior.
- identify factors that affect fashion and/or housing decisions.
- identify symbols for reading blueprints and/or patterns .
- gain work experience in the fashion and/or interiors industry.
- prepare a budget based on client needs.
- select accessories to compliment a design project.
- utilize activities of the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America student organization as an integral component of course content and leadership development.
- apply math, science, and communication skills within technical content.
- demonstrate employability and social skills relevant to the career cluster.
- Fashion Emphasis:
- demonstrate basic sewing machine procedures
- demonstrate basic apparel alterations and repairs
- perform basic pattern layouts and cutting for textile items
- Interiors Emphasis:
- distinguish among types of floor and wall coverings, window treatments and furniture to meet specific design needs
- propose furniture arrangements for the living, sleeping and service areas of a home
Textbooks Used: Clothing—Fashion, Fabrics & Construction and Homes Today and Tomorrow (used only in the classroom)
Fees Required: Lab Cost $ 20.00 (due by 8/29/16 --must be paid before participation in labs)
FCCLA Membership 15.00 (required for membership in organization)
Total $ 35.00
Materials Required for Class:
three-ring binder three-ring pencil pouch one pack (3 count or above) of #2 lead pencils
three-ring dividers highlighter one pack of loose-leaf notebook paper
any miscellaneous materials necessary for activities
Method of Grade Calculation: Each assignment (participation, daily in-class work, homework, writing assignments, labs, projects) will be given points from 5-100 based on the amount of work involved/expected. Nine-week grades will be determined by dividing the number of points possible into the number of points received.
Homework Policy: All homework is due the day after it is assigned unless otherwise instructed. A reduction of one letter grade per day will be applied for late work.
Makeup Work Policy: It is the student's responsibility upon returning to class to 1.) request makeup work by filling out the "makeup request form,” and 2.) complete the work. Students have the number of days absent plus one day to make up work (ie: 3 days absent, 4 school days to make-up once they return).
BEHAVIORAL EXPECTATIONS (RULES) AND PROCEDURES:
1. I will always be prepared:
Attend school regularly
To class on time and immediately take seat and begin work on bellringer activity (found on the screen/board)
Restroom and water fountain before or after class
Pick up binder from shelf -- includes pencil (#2) and paper (loose-leaf notebook)
Turn in assignments with full name, class period, assignment name and date
2. I will always be appropriate:
Use appropriate language and tone
Follow the dress code
Gum permitted, with restrain – no food or drink (includes candy/tic-tacs etc.)
Public displays of affection are prohibited; horseplay prohibited
Large purses and sports bags/backpacks placed in front of room
Write only on paper, not tables, walls, etc.
3. I will always respect others:
Keep cell phones and I-Pods put away (always)--store in tote on counter until end of class
Chromebook use will be for instruction only
Respect the personal rights and property of others; treat others the way I would want to be treated; be kind and helpful to everyone
Be a good listener and follow directions; avoid talking unless required by the assignment
Wait to be recognized by the teacher after raising hand
Remain quiet and seated during announcements
Only the teacher answers the door, the intercom, or the phone
Clean around desk and push chair in before leaving
Follow emergency procedures accurately
4. I will always be responsible for my learning:
Participate in all classroom activities.
Complete all assignments.
5. Positive Attitude:
Remember that everything in life does not always go our way—attitude can make a good day or a bad day Accept responsibility for behavior—accept consequences
1. Verbal warning: you will be warned and the teacher will explain the problem.
3. Contact with home
4. Repeated offenses: Office Referral
Severe offenses will result in an immediate office referral. Examples: smoking/possession of tobacco, drugs, fighting,
flagrant abuse of faculty/staff/other students, profanity, defiance (student says "I will not” or walks away)
I have read and understand this course syllabus. (The student must return this entire syllabus for a grade.)
__________________________________________________________________________________Student Signature Date_________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________Parent Signature Date_________________________________ E-Mail Address/Phone Number