2nd Grade Information
- Progress and midterm reports will be sent home every nine weeks. The grades you see can be confusing, especially to those of you who grew up with the standard A, B. C, system.
E 101 & above
Progressing with Help
Area of Concern
- Your child will receive an agenda book on the first day of school. Each day your child will write homework assignments, weekly spelling lists, and other information in this book.
- In the back of the agenda book there is a plastic pocket which we call “the perfect pocket”. Please check this pocket nightly for homework and notes.
- Please sign your child’s agenda book daily to let me know you are aware of assignments and
- notes made in the agenda book.
- The first agenda book is free, however replacement books are available for $5.00 if needed.
- A reading/math log will be sent home weekly. It will be due each Friday morning. Please sign that your child has read and written a response to the questions and studied basic math facts each night. Every Monday your child will bring home a spelling list to study for a test on Friday.
· Your child will receive a weekly newsletter each Monday.
- Anytime your child is absent, a note of explanation is required for the office. *This note goes to the office, so please make sure it is written on a separate sheet of paper, not in your child’s agenda book or Friday Folder. *If you e-mail an excuse please send it directly to email@example.com .
- ABSENCES and making up assignments / homework. Unfortunately we are unable to send many assignments from the classroom to home because they involve classroom materials. Therefore it makes it difficult to get many items together. Work that needs to be made up will be given to your child when s/he returns to school.
- Tardies - Learning activities begin promptly @ 7:30. Please make every effort to have your child here on time or he/she will miss important concepts and directions. All students arriving after the 7:30 bell must check in at the office.
- If you know ahead of time of an extended absence, arrangements must be made through the office. The paperwork for this absence may be found on-line at www.montgomery.kyschools.us .
- All medications, including over the counter medications such as cough drops, must be turned in to the nurse in the original container, with a note of dosage requirements. The nurse who is from the Health Department is the only person who can give your child medication.
- When sending money for any reason, please send it in a sealed envelope with your child’s name and the purpose written on it. PLEASE do not send loose money for anything. If you allow your child to purchase snacks from the cafeteria, please have them use his/her lunch account.
- Please send a note on a separate piece of paper (not in your child’s agenda book) if your child is to get home in a different manner than his/her normal daily routine. *Without a note, your child will follow the regular routine. We can’t expect our children to remember to “correctly” tell his/her teacher of changes.
- The note needs to have the exact address as to where your child will get off the bus. You must also include: your signature, the date(s) of the bus changes and a phone number where we can reach you on this particular day.
- Toys are to stay home. If your child brings a toy to school s/he will be asked to put it away. If it is seen again during the day, your child will be told to put it in the “May Box”. All items will be returned in May. If it is an item of value the parent is free to come to school and pick it up personally before May. On occasion students may be allowed to bring toys to school for a reward, but only when the teacher notifies you with a note first.
- Due to a 12:30 lunch time for Second Grade students will be allowed to eat a small snack during center time. No class time will be taken for snacks.
- Water bottles are encouraged as long as they are labeled with your child’s name, are re-closable, and contain “plain” water only. No colored or flavored water.
- *Please look in the Mapleton Handbook for details about the dress code.
- When a child brings books home that belong to Mapleton it is his/her responsibility. If the books are lost or damaged you will be asked to pay to replace them.
· The 2nd Grade teachers will be working together to ensure consistent behavior policies as students travel from room to room.
· You will be receiving information about our school-wide reward system in the near future.
Contacting the Teacher
- We are always willing to speak with you about your child. In an effort to avoid interruptions during instructional time, you may send a note, or call the school and leave a message for me to call you back.
- You may e-mail me at teacher first firstname.lastname@example.org . Please realize that instruction and attention for the student is a priority, therefore it may be necessary to contact you after school or in the evening.
Thanks for all you do for your child! Please contact me with any questions or concerns.