Dear Mapleton Families,
On behalf of the staff at Mapleton Elementary School, I am excited to welcome you to the 2018-19 school year! Hopefully, the summer has provided you with many memorable opportunities to spend time with family and friends. I am very blessed to lead such an exemplary school with a foundation built upon trust, teamwork, and the students at the center of all we do. As the 2018-19 school year is upon us, I am reminded that the beginning of school is truly a special time. We are eagerly looking forward to the start of another successful year, and we are so excited as we expand our student population to include preschool-fifth grade.
To our students: I want you to know how excited we are to have you at Mapleton Elementary. You are the reason we come to work every day, and we believe in your growth and success. We want you to leave every day with a smile on your face, looking forward to the next day of learning, and realizing how very special you are.
To our parents and guardians: We value your opinions and look forward to you partnering with us in your child’s education. We invite you to become an active participant in our school community through volunteering, joining our PTO, or attending and supporting school events. PTO will have an informational booth set up at Open House. We send updated events and information in our weekly school and classroom newsletters and through each child’s student agenda. We want you to know that you are welcome any time.
To all others: We want you to know that we realize it takes an entire community coming together to create a successful school for our future leaders. We are very thankful for all the support we have received from our community. Your partnership and support have helped us make the positive growth with our students. We invite the entire community to take part in the excitement of our upcoming 2018-19 year at Mapleton Elementary, so don’t hesitate to contact us.
While there will be minimal changes to our administrative, teacher, and support staff team this year, we are excited to welcome a few new staff members. We have spent the summer preparing for another extraordinary school year. Our school theme this year is “BE... – Work HARD, Dream BIG!” At Mapleton we believe in growth and potential. We believe in teamwork and respect. We also believe in helping our students understand that through these beliefs and with hard work, they can accomplish their goals.
Even though we are very proud of the academic accomplishments of our students, we also believe in a whole child approach to education. By educating the growth of our children in the following areas: academics, personal & interpersonal skills, and civic engagement, our students can become successful productive members of society. To support this focus some of the initiatives will include:
- Continued use of student data notebooks to empower students: Student data notebooks provide tools for students to set personal goals, monitor their own learning, reflect on previous work, and communicate their progress with teachers and parents using real data.
- Continued growth of our related arts programs including after school clubs and teams.
- Continued focus on building productive citizens through our school wide monthly service learning projects: Mapleton Gives Back – Service Through the Seasons, and our school wide Student Leadership Teams. These yearlong projects educate our students in the value of becoming active stakeholders to improve our school and community.
Please mark your calendars for the following events:
- August 8, 2018: Jump Start Kindergarten (8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.) – Students participating should have an application completed at the school.
- August 9, 2018: Kindergarten Open House (5:00-7:00)
- August 13, 2018: 1st – 5th Grade Open House (5:00-7:00)
- August 16, 2018: Opening Day for Students!
School Start Time: 7:45 a.m. (Students may enter the classroom at 7:30. However, they can be dropped off at 7:15 and wait in the gym or have breakfast in the cafeteria prior to going to their classroom.)
School Dismissal: 2:45 p.m.
I look forward to meeting with you at our open houses, and I look forward to working with our dedicated educators, supportive parents, and amazing students again this year. Please contact me if I can be of assistance at (859) 497-8752 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dawn Cockrell, Principal